Sign in / Join

Carpet removal in dome has trace amounts of asbestos

Hanks has been exposed to a very small amount of asbestos. The findings were discovered when the decision of removing the carpet from Dome one to be replaced with tile. The fibers of asbestos were embedded in the removed carpet.

Administration is taking all the necessary procedures to not have the the asbestos fibers be exposed to students. Their main priority is to keep the students safe.

"The [Ysleta] District has taken all the precautions and procedures to keep the students safe," said assistant principal Hugo Gonzalez. "They only work on the area after school when all the students are not on campus. They are doing things very professional and wouldn't put students in harms way if they couldn't contain it."

According to Mesothelioma Cancer Alliance, Asbestos is now strictly regulated as exposure to this toxic mineral can now be directly and scientifically linked to a number of lung and respiratory conditions including mesothelioma. Asbestos fibers are microscopic (roughly .02 the diameter of a human hair), and therefore, are easily inhaled.

Once inhaled, the fibers cling to the respiratory system, including the lining of the lungs and inner cavity tissue. As asbestos fibers are typically quite rigid, they become lodged in the soft internal tissue of the respiratory system and are not easily expelled or broken down by the body.

"It's like a scene from 'Breaking Bad'," said senior Vivian Martinez. "The red danger tape, the tape covering the cracks of the dome, and even the tarps that don't allow anyone to look gives it its suspenseful feeling."

According to WebMD in their article, "What Is Asbestos," other items that may contain asbestos include:

· Insulation in walls and attics

· Vinyl tiles used for floors

· Shingles

· Siding on houses

· Blankets that protect hot water pipes

· Fabrics that resist heat

· Car brakes

The fibers that form asbestos separate very easily into tiny pieces when they’re handled or damaged. They’re too small to see, but they’re easy to breathe in. They can build up in lungs and cause health problems.

"With just a few days till graduation, there shouldn't be that much worry about the problem," said senior Gianna Morales. "I trust that our administration took all the necessary steps to keep us safe and healthy within the weeks that we are still here. By the time the new school year starts everybody will forget about the whole ordeal and this whole thing will be another joking matter. "

Print Friendly